My Year of the Life of Leisure

I left my job, left my apartment, sold most everything in that apartment and embarked on a year of travelling and leisure. I am working on writing a couple of books. This might be one of them... But then, my chief pursuit is leisure, so who knows exactly what will happen.

Sunday, November 14, 2004

Rainy weekend

The rain in Buen' falls mainly on my windowpane.

Still. It rains in BA. Though, there was a little sun yesterday morning, and after slathering on sunblock, I revelled in it and took it in. More freckles are appearing on me.

Yesterday was a good day. Talked for nearly two hours with a friend back home. After a week of sorely missing my friends, it was luxurious (and generous of his time). It was like a big hug from afar. Today, will be calling my just-before-leaving roommate. She will probably get Bravado to sing for me, and my eyes will get all misty at missing her and the cats...

Also wrote a seven page (handwritten in a spiral notebook) outline of the first novel I am working on, yesterday. Was very good to do so, and am glad that I did because now I have something concrete to look at and work from. Starting a novel is such a big thing and I often feel lost as to where to start and how to proceed. After I get some lunch (after I finish this entry), will be going back to the residence to start the first chapter. The novel will be a modern version of The House of Mirth. THOM resonates very deeply with me, and it will be difficult to write it so that it is not overly autobiographical. Though, I once saw an interview with John Updike, or John Cheever, or another similar writer, and he said 'every year I start to write my autobiography. Then, I start lying about the events, and that's where my new novel comes from each year.' I am conflicted about rewriting a novel that is so personally resonant to me. However, I am confident that the story is still timely. It's just a matter of how much of my personal experience I invest into my novel. I have always shied away from using my personal experience as a major source for my own writing (I prefer, instead, to just make stories up from my imagination), because I don't feel I have the distance to write about my own life in a solid way. Also, if you're writing largely based on your own life, I call that an autobiography and not fiction. Though, any time someone writes something, part of them will always be revealed. While I deeply share myself with a few of my friends, and share myself in a way with you, the blog reader, I am rather wary of opening myself up deeply to a large audience that is unknown to me. What is the balance? I will discover it.

Oh, and finally went to see La Jugada (Croupier) on Friday night. Very nice. And that's not just a comment about being able to watch Clive Owen for a couple hours...

1 Comments:

  • At 5:08 PM, Blogger DementedPhotographer said…

    Any time you create, you put a little of yourself into your creation. How much is up to you, but you never finish it quite the same as when you started. :)

    -G

     

Post a Comment

<< Home